Help us reduce electricity use by 10%
In fiscal year (FY) 2015, WVU system electricity use was 194 million kilowatt hours (kWh)
WVU System Breakdown:
- 125kWh Morgantown Campuses
- 53kWh Health Sciences Center
- 8kWh WVU Tech
- 5kWh Potomac State
- 2.5kWh HSC Charleston and Eastern
Costing $11 million
Enough to power 17,636 homes for a year
Morgantown Campus Energy Sources: Power Grid, Steam and Natural Gas
Out of 9 similar institutions in our region, WVU ranks 6th in energy consumption. We can do better.
- Turn off lights when leaving a room — including desk lamps, task lights, overhead lights.
- Use WVU ITS power management options for computers
- Unplug battery chargers when not in use
- Use centralized appliances (refigerators, microwaves, coffee pots)
- Keep office temperature between 68-74 degrees Farenheit and report extreme temperature changes
Real Progress. Real Savings.
Since 2006, energy efficiency improvements in over 70 buildings have helped the University save big.
- Over $16 millions saved on energy costs.
- 850+ acres of trees preserved or replenished.
- 300 million fewer pounds of greenhouse gases released into the environment.
- Average emissions savings are equivalent to removing 22,000+ vehicles from the road.